Dye Penetrant Inspection detects surface defects and discontinuities on non-ferromagnetic materials e.g. stainless steel, duplex components etc.
Glacier technicians utilise a low viscosity red dye which penetrates into surface breaking defects or discontinuities. This is followed by removing excess dye and applying a highly absorbent developer which draws out the penetrant to the surface marking clear visible indications of surface breaking discontinuities. The technicians will then evaluate these indications against relevant codes or specifications.
Dye penetrant inspection offers a number of benefits:
- Sensitive to small surface discontinuities
- Few material limitations
- Large areas can be inspected at a low cost
- Complex Geometries easily inspected
- Provides a visual representation of flaws directly on the component
- Materials & Equipment extremely portable